Sunday, May 30, 2010

Redeeming the Trial

I have a sweet friend who lost her husband just over a year ago to the same type of tumor that Dad has. All during this past week, she has been an encouragement to and prayer warrior for our family. In one of her letters to me she used the expression, "redeeming the trial" in reference to being able to use her own circumstances to encourage and pray for us. This phrase has stuck with me.

Redeeming the trial.



What does that mean to me? It means that I allow the trial to bring about change in my life. Something that redeems is something that delivers or brings about salvation or change.I find that I am suddenly looking at my life and the lives of those around me through different eyes. None of us are promised another hour. Yet we live life as if we have multiple tomorrows. Are we living life with an eternal mindset? Are we focused on Jesus Christ? Are we laying up treasures in heaven? Are we reaching out to those around us rather than living in our own little bubbles? I am praying already that this trial of Dad's brings about lasting change in myself and others.



To redeem also means to restore the honor or worth of. As I consider the words, "honor" and "worth" I am praying that I will be worthy of the honor of undergoing this trial, even though not as closely as my Dad himself is undergoing the trial. As James 1:2-3 says, "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." And James 1:12 says, "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." It is a blessing and an honor to go through trials! The man who walks the easy road probably isn't growing very much. I am already praying that my parents will not forget to count it a joy and blessing to undergo this trial. I am also praying that they will be tested (and react to the testing) in such a way that the world will not be able to doubt who the Author of my parents' story is.


Redeeming the trial.


This means using the trial to share Jesus and taking every moment that remains to glorify God. We redeem the trial by our Christ-like actions and reactions in the midst of hard times. We redeem the trial by having empathy with and sharing the burdens of those going through their own set of difficult circumstances. We redeem the trial by focusing more on the cross and less on self. We redeem the trial by openly sharing our situtuation with other believers so that they in turn can pray and praise with us, growing in their own relationship with their Savior and with fellow heirs. We redeem the trial by using our hard circumstances as a way to reach out to those that don't know Jesus.

Redeeming the trial.


People find a common bond in hard situations. Sickness is a bond that draws people together. My Dad has brain cancer and our family will redeem this trial for the glory of God!


Over the next few days, I will be sharing my parents story and how this whole trial began. From what Dad's first signs and symptoms were to the current prognosis. My prayer is that God will be glorified in the writing and telling of the story and that you will be encouraged and convicted.
Solus Christus,

3 comments:

sleehite said...

Amen and Amen! Grace and Peace to you Lydia and your entire family.

Love in Him
Alice

babyarnie said...

Blessed be the Name of the Lord!! We serve an awesome God!!

Unknown said...

Hi David,

This is Lynn Parker Fields and I don't know if you remember me or not but I so remember you and your musicmy friend! If I remember correctly, you and I did a wedding together many years ago! Terry Dickens has kept me posted on your progress and I am pounding heaven's gates on your behalf brother. You blog has been an amazing testimony of someone who is totally surrendered to the will of the Father and it has touched the deepest part of my heart and soul. Please know that my family is praying for you and your family. The Lord is faithful!