Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday Morning

"For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.” Luke 9:24

Over 38 years ago David saw the truth of those words and life changed forever for him. For the past 36 ½ years I have lived with him and seen his commitment to Christ. Christ has been his life.

The past few days have been surreal in many ways for me. I wonder if it is like this for everyone facing the death of a loved one from a hospital bed. The doctors and nurses come in, examine him and order the next round of tests or medications trying to save a life.

So many people cling to this life and take extraordinary measures to hold on to it. David has always lived with the hope and assurance of the next life so he is more than ready to leave this life and all of its limitations and bodily suffering. His biggest concern has been for me. God has given us the most awesome, wonderful marriage where we truly have been one. I know how passionately my husband has loved me and still loves me, but He has always loved Jesus more – in this I find great comfort. What greater gift could a husband give his wife than to love their Savior more? My heart breaks as I write these words, for life without this dearest of God’s blessings will not be easy and yet I know I will be all right for God has promised to never leave me or forsake me.

We don’t know if God is going to take David in the next few days or not, but we are at peace with whatever God does.

Here is the latest:
David is now wearing a DNR bracelet. We want him as comfortable as possible but we do not want any extraordinary means used to keep him alive in this body (his spirit is being renewed day by day). He had two units of blood this morning. His white blood count is still up and the doctors don’t know the source. They have ordered a CT scan to see if maybe he has another abscess in his abdomen. If he does, surgery is not an option because he is so weak. They could put in a drain depending on the location or the possibility is there that nothing could be done. Again, we are at peace. God is in the details.

Thank you for your continued prayers and words of encouragement. We are blessed.


Pam

2 comments:

Monica said...

love you Pam, and we're praying for all of you!

John & Debbie said...

We love you and are praying for you. John and Debbie